Sunday, May 16, 2010

What Was That?

I've been guilty of correcting people's English without invitation to do so... I can't help it!  It's my job to correct English.  I can't help but resist the need to correct the speaker when I hear, "I haven't went there before."  NOOO!!  You haven't gone there before.  Respect your past participles, people.

This is why I've had such a hard time listening to somewhat intelligent women on The Real Housewives of New York use their version of the present perfect tense.  Or collectively fail to use it and use the present tense instead.
WHAT???


The first few times, I thought for sure I heard that wrong.  She didn't say, "We know each other for 20 years."  Clearly she wasn't enunciating and she actually, maybe through some blurry wine buzz said, "We've known each other for 20 years."


At last season's reunion show when Kelly was crying about her ex-boyfriend accusing her of domestic violence, she complained about the harm to her reputation, "My name!  My name that I built since I'm a kid!"  NO!  Since you were a kid, you idiot.


But it's NOT just her!  All of them do it and it drives me nuts.  What's going on in English classes in New York schools?  Or is it a regional dialect that so offends the ear?  Ugh... 

2 comments: