Thursday, May 13, 2010

Be a Doll

Most people are critical of themselves in some way.  Actors are commonly their own biggest critics, in particular.  And maybe that's because perception means so much when you're trying to get hired as a character in a story.  But isn't it funny to sometimes find out how other people perceive you?


I teach adults, so I guess I listen to what they say about me more closely and take it more seriously than I would kids.  On Tuesday, I saw two ladies in the front row whispering and smiling.  I could tell they were talking about me, so I interrupted (kidding, of course).  "Hey, what's going on over there?"  They giggled, "We were saying you look like a doll."  


Today a different student in the front row interrupted my class to say, "You look like Barbie.  Do people tell you that?"  All I could think was, "In your country, is Barbie a flat-chested, unmarried woman in her 30s, who teaches in Watts part-time and is considering bankruptcy?"


Of course, didn't say that.  I just laughed and smiled... even said, "Uh..thank you" despite how stupid it felt.


And it's not that I can't take a compliment.  I just can't take one seriously that I don't think applies to me at all.


Later this afternoon I remembered something.  That student with the Barbie comment had a headache today... because she'd forgotten her glasses.  Ah-hah!  Not Barbie, just a blonde blur.  OK, that I can accept that.

No comments:

Post a Comment