Saturday, May 15, 2010

Veggie Me?

For some time now I've put off reading the book Skinny Bitch because I know it will turn me into at least a vegetarian, if not a vegan, and I just don't know if I could afford that.  Not to mention how much it will disrupt my family routine.


I mean sure, I could stop eating meat, but then Phil and I would have to prepare two separate meals for dinner most of the time.  And what about my Golden Retriever, Bailey?  He's turning 13 this year.  Am I supposed to expect him to suddenly change everything he's ever known about what's delicious, too?


Today I accidentally walked in the room while Phil was watching the documentary Food Inc.  Couldn't take it.  I love animals and I can't handle the way they're being treated or the way big business and law makers fail to protect us from the dangers of producing bigger, faster food.  


I have so much respect for people like actor Larry Sullivan, who is dedicated to animal rights and living vegan, and also happens to be one of the nicest people in the world.  Here are some quotes from his Facebook page:


"Saving one animal won't change the world...but it will surely change the world for that one animal."


"I don’t ask people to not eat animals to be a jerk or controlling...I ask because the animals can’t." 


Would love to hear from anyone who's made this huge, important change.  How much did the cost of eating go up and how difficult was it to integrate this into your life?

2 comments:

  1. I watched Food, Inc. 2 months ago, and haven't eaten a land animal since (I have eaten sea creatures). I really haven't missed meat, but it does take more planning. As for cost, I don't think it's costing us more. We have made it a point to go to a farmers market every week for our produce, and I think it is cheaper than a grocery store organic. WAY cheaper than Whole Foods. We've even gotten into juicing. It's a lifestyle choice that takes planning and commitment, but so far, it seems worth it to me to know exactly what we are eating and where it comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Jill. And good for you! I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete