Friday, March 5, 2010

Tracy Anderson Torture Method



After seeing blurb on Extra about the woman responsible for Madonna's arms, I did a little research. I came across one of her workouts posted online which was weird and hard, but actually quickly started getting me results. Later I ordered The Tracy Anderson Method Mat Workout DVD. The arm portion of this workout could replace waterboarding. I should say thetwo arm portions. The workout is 57 minutes of unique and thorough pain. By the time I get to the last section which is abs, I can barely do it... not because my abs hurt, but because my arms are in complete muscle exhaustion and I can barely hold them up behind my head. I guess that's the point, to get "teeny-tiny ballet arms." But one day as I stood in my living, arms extended, flipping my palms from floor to ceiling, I thought "this is pure vanity." There is no way this workout is making me more "heart healthy" or improving my overall health, it's simply aesthetic, to make me look better. And hell, I'm an actress, NOTHING wrong with that. But I experimented with a "traditional" form of exercise (EA Sports Active) and I found it be incredibly difficult. HUH? Why? I've been working out SO hard! Well, my accessory muscles ( the little ones that support the big ones) had been working hard, but not my major muscle groups. A friend's trainer described Tracy's method: it pulls the fat away from the muscle, but doesn't strengthen it. Hmm, Madonna's arms look really strong. Well, if you've ever seen a picture of Tracy Anderson's body, http://action.tracyandersonmethod.com/ it's more than inspiring. But what is most disheartening, is that even of I can get through that punishing 57 minutes 5 times a week, that's really only half of what Tracy suggests. The other part is cardio. No, not running, spinning or even swimming. DANCING! That's like asking me to be Korean. She has a very long, detailed Dance Cardio Workout DVD which I stupidly ordered. I simply am not capable and it was very depressing and frustrating to prove that to myself. And who am I kidding? Workout 2 to 2.5 hours a day? Not unless you're paying me to. And I know about a million women who would pay Tracy to.