Sunday, March 21, 2010

Healthcare Please!

  Most women at least, probably remember when Christina Applegate was diagnosed with breast cancer back in 2008.  She underwent a double mastectomy at age 36 after she found a cancerous lump in one breast.  This was significant to me because she had tested positive for the BRCA1 breast cancer gene, something that runs in my family.  The testing for this gene is incredibly expensive, upwards of $3000.   When my first cousin was diagnosed with breast cancer last year at age 38, and tested positive for the BRCA1 gene, I knew I had to get tested.  Being uninsured, this was an obstacle.  After dozens of emails and phone calls, I finally arranged to have my test done for free by a research lab in Canada and UCLA agreed to do my genetic counseling, also for free.  The drawback?  I was tested in August of 2009 and my results are still pending.  Still waiting for the call.


The real drawback?  Why should any woman, or person, in my situation be forced to go to such lengths to preserve and protect my health?  And what if my test comes back positive?  Regular breast MRI testing is imperative to detect cancerous cells in high-risk patients... also incredibly expensive.  


This is just one reason why I am so excited about the healthcare legislation passing through Congress today.  Today I am insured, but this legislation will help people around the country who suffer from pre-existing conditions and were previously categorized as uninsurable.  Being sick shouldn't mean going broke, or going untreated.  It's too expensive?  So are two wars.  But what we really can't afford is to be terrorized anymore by the healthcare industry.  


It is a great day for America!!  Now if Canada could just hurry things along on those test results...

2 comments:

  1. When it is more cost-effective for the insurance companies to have you DIE, it's long past time for change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Beth. When my wife became ill several years ago and we were forced to pay over $600 per month for her COBRA insurance, I thought it couldn't get any worse. Then, months and months later after a diagnosis which ensured she would never be insurable again, we eventually lost her COBRA. after $700 worth of medication per month for a couple years later, we got within about 30 days of filing bankruptcy before we found enough financial stability to start paying off debt and where she can now have all of her medications every month. I assume not everyone is capable of working full time while going to law school in order to get to that point. If health care legislation had passed during the Clinton era, I'd still be an actor in California, not a lawyer on the Gulf Coast.

    Here's hoping today goes as planned.

    ReplyDelete