Friday, March 5, 2010

Ohno! I left my child in a cabin in the woods!

Everyone loves the against-all-odds stories that so often accompany the biographies of successful Olympic athletes.  But rarely does one of those touching NBC "behind the Olympian" stories involve what might be... er, child abuse, neglect, and endangerment?  Apolo Anton Ohno made Olympic history on Saturday when he won his seventh Winter Olympic medal.  So, how does a young man derive such drive and determination to succeed?  Well apparently if your Japanese father drives 15-year-old-you out to a cabin in the middle of the woods and leaves you there, BY YOURSELF... FOR 8 DAYS,  to "figure out what you want in life," you can make Winter Olympic history.  Clearly all 15-year-olds know what they want in life, right?  I think I wanted bangs at 15.  Sort of makes you wonder what other parenting wonders Yuki Ohno used that didn't end up in an NBC spotlight piece.  Regardless, no one's complaining now about how Apolo turned out.  Than is unless, you don't like seeing him Dance With The Stars or slinging every product from AT&T to Dayquil or have a problem listening to him compliment his own achievements... a little too much.  We get it, you're good at what you do.  Take a page from Evan Lysacek's book.  Be gracious, Apolo.
Well, I'm off to find a cabin in the woods where I can abandon myself to for 8 days to figure out what I want in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment