Monday, March 29, 2010

Mascary...

Call it putting negative energy out to the universe if you must, but I HATE L'oreal Extra Volume Collagen Mascara!  I couldn't find my usual Max Factor pick at my last desperate trip to CVS for mascara, so after standing there for several minutes staring at the wall of drugstore make-up, I finally went ahead and chose the one that I thought had a great description, and the packaging looked the most like my beloved Max Factor.  Huge mistake.  Clumpy doesn't begin to describe it.  I always put on my mascara last - the finishing touch.  Not such a nice finishing touch when you end up with clumps of mascara on your eye lids and under your eyes... after you've already finished applying make-up to those areas!  UGH!  No fun to re-do ever, but especially when you're trying to run out the door to work or an audition!  Bottom line, take a look here and don't buy it! 


I've been curious about what women think is the best drugstore mascara on the market?  Everyone has different mascara needs... I am a whitey-white chick.  Even my eyelashes are naturally blonde, so I really need all the help I can get in that department.


Lira Kellerman casts a vote for L'Oreal's Double Extend Mascara.
Thoughts?


My main thought on this topic is, mascara has been around for a REALLY long time.  How can a major company still possibly be screwing it up so badly?  Well, according to Lira, they're not screwing it up across the board.  


I'm off to find my Max Factor 2000 Calorie Mascara 201 Rich Black Curved Brush!  HOw could I have ever turned my back on you?

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE Maybelline Define-A-Lash. I'm a total product whore, but I've repurchased this one multiple times. No clumps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually like Loreal Voluminous or Max Factor 2000 Calorie, but I haven't bought drugstore mascara in a long time. Since you're supposed to replace mascara quite frequently, I think the best thing to purchase is the small combo pack from Sephora and only open one at a time: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P247392&categoryId=B70

    :) Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies!! And yes Bianca, I've heard that rule too, but I've never followed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the shout out!

    I've also heard that if you want to spend the big bucks, Dior Show mascara is the way to go. They have black and brown and blue (!) and are available at makeup counters and Sephora.

    If you want to spend less than that, go with the L'Oreal product I raved about. Seriously, it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The old green and pink classic - Maybelline Great Lash! It's just a really good mascara. And I always curl my lashes first, no matter what mascara I wear. I even curl them on days I wear no makeup. Shu Uemera makes a great curler.

    For more drama, L'oreal Voluminous is good, but NOT the Carbon black. It's the flakiest mascara in the world. Get the regular black - not carbon black - I can't stress this enough!
    And if you want to be really fancy, DiorShow is nice. You can get it at Sephora.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, now I really want to try DiorShow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm TOTALLY with Jill Saunders. The "old" pink and green "classic"!! Like you said Beth, mascara has been around for decades, and Maybelline is the first one ever saw, and a major company so they should have it right!! And with my experience, they do!! They have one called BIG with the larger wand :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I was just about to complain about the small wand on theirs, so thanks for that Tammy!

    ReplyDelete