Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What I Learned...

We all know that unions and tenure make it almost impossible to fire public school teachers and community college professors.  And, I thought I'd heard it all after I heard about the teacher who couldn't stay awake during class, so rather than being fired, was given a teacher's assistant.

Oh, but I really hadn't heard it all...  and I still haven't.  Today a student complained about another teacher to me.  Long story short, the guy tells funny stories in class, but doesn't teach much of anything.  Also farms out to the class to see where he can get discounts from students.  He opens with, "I have a student in Long Beach who works for an airline, so she gets me a discount."  Sounds harmless?  I wish it was...



It turns out this gem has quite the history.  The offenses are endless, from failing students who complained about him, to threatening to fail anyone who didn't sign up for his summer class, but my favorite is how he taught a Saturday class and convinced the small number of students that he wasn't being paid to teach, but he was there to tutor them, for a fee.  He was busted by a custodian when a student confided in him, "The teacher is expensive, but I guess it's worth it."

Second favorite story, another teacher, same school was teaching two night classes at two different schools simultaneously.  He would go to one location, set it up, leave, drive to the other, back and forth. Called in sick a lot.



Sad?  Amusing?  More than anything, you CANNOT make this stuff up!

No comments:

Post a Comment