Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Walk in Those? Heel No!

 Today I wore a skirt and heels to an audition.  And the role certainly didn't require it.  I was playing a waitress, so I barely looked at the script.  Why?  Before I hung up my apron for good, I had more than 13 years experience slinging food and drink for tips.  I got this.


But what's up with the get-up?  It was a snooty, upscale waiter, but still... a skirt?  And heels?  I looked at those heels and my sore feet rather disapprovingly when I got home.  Three inches?  Get off my feet!  That seemed excessive.  But... haven't I heard about taller shoes lately?  Much taller?  Like, five and six-inch heels?  That's insane!  Right?


So what's up with the tall shoes these days?  Well according to experts, shoe height is at an all-time high.  And who is to blame?  Apparently Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns.  Yep!  Thought is, that the recession is driving escapism.  Thus, women are towering!  Lady Gaga escaped more than anyone, when she strutted her stuff in 12-inch heels for her "Bad Romance" video.


Yikes!  Sure, heels make women feel taller, thinner, more stylish and sophisticated, but at the cost of pain, stress fractures and safety hazards galore?  


I applaud being fashion-forward, but three inches is my limit.  I'm putting my foot down.  In a flip-flop.

No comments:

Post a Comment