Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Watts the Deal?

 I teach ESL (English as a Second Language) at a community college, but I have a couple of classes, off-campus in community-based centers.  This always has its own set of issues or obstacles.  You're a mobile teacher going into areas where there's need and that's usually not the nicest of neighborhoods.  I teach at two offsite facilities, both in Watts (an area sadly famous for all the wrong reasons).  And the two facilities, though just blocks apart, couldn't be more different.


One is called Kedren Head Start.  Kedren has several other locations and facilities around Los Angeles, providing an array of services to the community from mental health services to nutrition and early childhood education.  The staff at Kedren Head Start couldn't be friendlier, more helpful, or more grateful to have us there.  They fall down over themselves trying to accommodate and anticipate any and all needs to improve and enhance the education experience for the students and teachers.


Part of my class is distance learning, which means the students take home DVDs and books to study in their free time and/or with friends or family members.  We watch part of the video in class every week, and the staff at Kedren always has a laptop with speakers, a projector, and projector screen set up and ready to go for me.  One morning the projector screen was already in use, so I walked in the classroom to find the project coordinator and two other staff members working quickly, adhering large pieces of white paper to the board so I could use that in its place.  These are people and an institution that really care about their community members and honor the importance of education.


My other offsite location in Watts is at the Coalition of Mental Health Professionals.  They also provide community services in the areas of conflict resolution, domestic violence, and other counseling services.    And while I can't speak on behalf of them, their actions towards me as a teacher, certainly have not been conducive with a stress on providing a positive and effective learning environment for the students I teach.  


They requested to have ESL classes taught there at the beginning of the year, but I would have to guess that their intentions were not solely focused on serving the immigrant population of the community.  Their overall attitude towards me as a teacher is far less than grateful.  They act as if they're doing me some kind of favor, rather than the other way around.  Here is an email I sent to my supervisor after class today:



When I arrived at CMHP this morning, the room had been split in half with dividers.  When I asked the staff member if we could move them, she got angry and told me to stop complaining.

The space is pretty cramped now and the other side of the room was not being used during my class time.  I tried to get creative providing workspace, but we were maxed out on space at 19 students.  Some students were using file cabinets against the wall as desks because there isn't enough room to allow another table to our side.  Some of the students at the back of the room couldn't see the board.  I tried moving it closer, but the room is now too narrow to put it anywhere else and the board itself is not big.

Unfortunately, that program literally now has nowhere to grow.

Thanks,
Beth

This is sad, unnecessary, unacceptable, and difficult to understand.  The worst part is, my employer is using their limited resources in a place where we seem to be unwanted, when there are a variety of other offsite locations that would and will welcome and embrace our services.

The tragedy here is the students.  There is a need in that community that isn't being honored.  

And it pisses me off.


No comments:

Post a Comment