Thursday, April 22, 2010

Grind No More?

Ever since college I've been grinding my teeth in my sleep.  Obviously it's a bad thing.  I've had many root canals and crowns... not fun or cheap.  Plenty of jaw pain, TMJ, and just soreness.  But over time, I've come to accept it as just a personality quirk.  Part of who I am in my stressful, busy little life.


So, I finally found a mouthguard that I'll actually keep in my mouth throughout the night.  In the past I've found those hard, plastic ones under my bed, thrown across the room, or simply MIA.  It's by Sleep Right and it's soft and flexible and comfortable.  And yes, it helps.  But according to my dentist, it's not enough.


Apparently from all my grinding and clenching, I actually have bone growing under my tongue on the bottom of my mouth.  


So if I keep it up, I will end up with a tongue hanging out of mouth in 30 years or so.  Beautiful.


The real issue is I need to calm the hell down and stop grinding and clenching my damn teeth.  But how?  Hypnotism?  Muscle relaxants?  Meditation?  


Thoughts????

No comments:

Post a Comment