Monday, April 5, 2010

Can I Have the Number for Facebook Rehab, Please?

  If Tiger and Jesse have to go to rehab for sex, then clearly I need to go for Facebook.  I'm not sure when it went from fun to obsessive, but like any other addiction, when it gets out of control, your world becomes dark and sad, and all you really want is a fix.  For me I hit rock bottom when I decided I should have a fan page.  What I found disturbing and admittedly upsetting, was that people who are my Facebook "friends," even some who requested me and not the other way around, ignored my request to be a "fan."


Why oh why do people take it so seriously?  Why do I?!    Fair enough, I don't really need a fan page.  And I really did just do it for fun.  But oh boy... not fun.  Here's what happened: I "suggested" to all my "friends" that they become a "Fan of Beth Shea" on my fan page.  The next day I logged in and again clicked on "suggest" to see if I'd missed anyone.  And I thought I had... because several people came up not "fuzzy" meaning they were neither already fans nor pending a response to the invitation.  That was weird.  Well, better send them another suggestion... I mean why would anyone bother being my friend if they didn't want to be my fan, right (do you hear the sound of my obsession?)?  And why would anyone take something so silly, so seriously?  Are there limits on how many things or people you can be fans of that I didn't know about?  Or do my "friends" really not all like me enough to be my fans?  IS THAT IT???


Well, let me give you a rundown of "friends" who ignored my request: someone I had just had dinner with a week before, someone I gave a role to in one of my movies, someone who asked me two days before to co-host a project with them, someone who wrote the day before on my page "I miss you so much!," someone I'd gotten a feature film audition for when I was working as a casting assistant, someone I BLOGGED about, the list goes on!!!


So what did I do with these friends?  The only thing that seemed natural and appropriate.  I de-friended them.


And apparently casting directors really don't like to be fans of actors, or at least not fans of me.  All of them ignored my suggestion, with one even sending me a message "NO FAN PAGE REQUESTS."  Um, OK.  Probably inundated with actors trying to self-promote, something always expected of us yet consistently condemned.  


And maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion.  Maybe I don't need professional help, or even to deactivate my FB pages.  Regardless, today is my Facebook Free Day.  Not logging in.  Until midnight.  Yeah, I might need some help.

No comments:

Post a Comment