Monday, April 12, 2010

Actor in Waiting

  If you're an actor in LA, you've probably been late to an audition before.  And 9 times out of 10, that's no big deal, because when you get there, traffic-weary, possibly a little sweaty and frustrated, they're running 20 minutes to an hour behind schedule, so you're playing that hurry up and wait game.  Which is frustrating, but it's better than showing up 5 minutes late, expecting the norm, when the casting assistant tells you, as you sign in, "We just called your agent." Ugh!  


And then there's the other end of the spectrum... getting there early.  Sometimes that's unavoidable if you're coming from a long distance.  Not stressful, but presents its own issues  What do you do?  Head inside to see if they'll see you early?  What if they haven't started your role yet and they get annoyed?  Wait in your car and meditate?  Going inside to wait seems logical, until you remember that weird "actors in the waiting room" dynamic.  Car seems much more comfortable.  Go for a walk?  Call a friend?  Find a quiet spot and beat the lines to death?  Again?


Well, today I decided to head on in early and just see what happens.  Turning the corner I see a guy outside the casting office throwing air punches and karate kicks.  What?  Really?  Is Keifer Sutherland auditioning for this?  I headed back to my car.  Too weird even for me.  A few minutes later I decided 30 minutes early was not crazy early, so I headed in.  Karate guy was on the floor doing twisting yoga poses.  Gave me the polite head nod "hello" as I walked by him to sign in.  


Oh actors!  Who knows?  Maybe I'm the biggest weirdo who doesn't have some pre-audition ritual.  


Karate, huh?  Hmm... 

No comments:

Post a Comment