Sunday, April 18, 2010

Reel Proof

 This past Friday night was the world premiere of Gay Baby from Wonder Entertainment.  I was so thrilled to have been cast in this short, alongside such amazing and certainly seasoned actors, such as Larry Sullivan ( CSI, 24, the Secret Life of the American Teenager) and Richard Riehle (Grounded for Life, Office Space,  too damn much to write!).  A wonderful experience, yes.  But one I almost didn't get.


It wasn't until Friday night at the FilmOut After Party that I learned, there had been callbacks for my role... which I was not invited to.  WHAT??  Huh??  You didn't fall in love with me instantly at the first audition?  The short answer is, no.  Writer/director Kevin Kelly told me, "We liked you... but we just weren't sure."  Well, after calling back a slew of actresses for the role of Maggie, (some who were in real life actually quite pregnant) they still weren't sure.  Kelly said, "We liked a lot of them, but we just wanted someone... funnier."  Casting director Damian Pelliccione suggested, "Take another look at Beth Shea."  Pelliccione had cast me only months before in his project, The Biggestwannabe.com, so luckily he was a fan.   


Kelly searched me on youtube, saw my reel and said, "That's it.  That's who we want."  


So, the story here is, my reel, not my audition, absolutely got me the part.  A clip of me slapping my new husband across the face at our wedding reception, sealed the deal.  


Reel good to know!



No comments:

Post a Comment