Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Meanbook

What is it about Facebook that makes people engage in, well... fights?  Sure lots of the "updates," "comments" and "likes" are funny, fun, supportive, even loving and inspiring at times.  But then there's the rest of the time, when they're bitter, snarky, rude, defensive, antagonistic, and just plain mean.  The blood gets boiling, and it seems what motivates people to express their opinions on the pages of "friends" on Facebook, is the mean, angry stuff.  People often seem more ready to attack an idea or thought that does not set well with them than to simply, say something nice.


Sure, political opinions spark debate, issues like Prop 8 bring out the best and worst in people, but lately I've noticed really unnecessary arguments and randomly mean comments sprouting up.  A film critic making fat jokes about Gabourey Sidibe, a talent manager posting a nasty quote by an actress, I could go on and on!  YUCK!  


I've had at least two friends quit Facebook because they couldn't handle the constant debates they found themselves in.  It's exhausting.  


And it's hard for loud-mouthed, outspoken me, to keep my comments to myself. but I have to!  Now, when I see something I don't like, I just ignore it, or better yet "hide" the "friend" that posted it.  Nothing negative deserves my energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment