Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Sound of My Voice?

  One part of the business that still remains a relative mystery to me is voiceover work.  The idea sounds fantastic!  No worries about hair, make-up, wardrobe or whether or not I'm having a fat day.  It seems to be the one area of show business where talent is in fact, the winning factor in who gets the job.  Unless of course, that voice comes from a name who is up for the same role.  That name is, as a rule, the universal winning factor.  Oh, to have a name!


So how do you get into voiceover work?  The short answer is, I have no idea.  Many friends who have a voiceover agent "fell into it" while pursuing in a smaller market, such as Chicago, San Francisco or even New York.  Well, no such fall for me to date.  I did however attempt to send off a voiceover audition to a casting director recently.  Failure ensued.  Not in the performance, but in my technology crisis.  Turns out the sound recorder on my Blackberry saves it as a file that can't be opened on anything other than a Blackberry.  Also learned that the microphone for my PC is a joke.  And not a funny one.


Lessons learned!  So, any tips out there on getting into voiceover work?  Do you really need a V.O. reel?  And if I do, couldn't I just get some copy and record it myself?  Anyone have a PC microphone that they recommend?  I'm listening!  


Have a great weekend!!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment